I think there should be a kitchen and office courtesy test given, in addition to culture fit or competency questions of an interview.
When you are taking the last bagel out of the community box, do you:
- toast it, schemer it with cheese and walk away
- Go tell the front desk lady that the box is empty
- Take care of it yourself by breaking it down and placing it where all the other boxes go for recycling
When you are finished with your plate do you:
- leave it in the sink
- Go hand it to the front desk lady
- Take care of by cleaning it or placing it in the dishwasher on your own
When you go to wash your hands, and see that we are out of liquid soap. Do you:
- Skip washing altogether
- Go shake the hands of the front desk lady; and let her know you were not able to wash your hands.
- Take care of it yourself by replacing it with one from the supply room
When you are not able to find the one out of seven coffees pods offered in the kitchen, do you:
- shake all the boxes until you find one with a pod in it and use that one.
- Go tell the front desk lady that you are simply unable to do your job and see if you can get an appointment with HR for your ADA accommodation.
- Take care of it yourself by replacing the empty boxes with full ones from the supply room
When there is free food left in the kitchen to be shared with the rest of the team; do you:
- Open the boxes and pick just what you want out of it and leave the rest for someone else to take care of?
- Go complain to the front desk lady that you don’t like any of this free food
- Take one and be happy that someone got you a $15 lunch for FREE….and clean up after yourself.
If you answered a) to any of these situations…..we have enough of you in this office. Please consider a position at an elementary or pre-school. That is where these basic skills are taught; maybe you would benefit from a refresher course.